View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 04:45 PM

Help with test results-idk diagnosis

I've had abnormal CBC for about three years, ever since reducing steroids I'd been on since 2003. BUT they are only abnormal in the morning, when I get my blood drawn before eating or taking my meds (including steroids) in order to be consistent. When my blood is drawn at the doctor's office (random times throughout the day as well as after my daily meds), blood work is FINE. But the morning results are consistent, so it's no fluke. Meaningfully, many of my symptoms are worse at night/first thing in the morning. So here's my most recent morning values:
CBC:
WBC. 3.1 L (consistent)
RBC 3.67 L
Hgb 12.3
Hemat 36.2 (not sure how to calculate blood volume because water balance is a particular problem)
MCV 98.5 (consistently H, sometimes moreso)
MCH 33.5 (consistent)
Neutrophils 1.3 L (consistent)
Platelets 172 (have been abn low)
(Although she didn't ask for a retic ct, two ys ago both RBC and retics had been low at the same time)

Vit B12 680 (never been low)
Folate >24 (was high last time tested too)
Vit D 25

So that's it. I had a bmb 2 ys ago, which they botched and got nothing meaningful out of. I have autoimmune problems so one guess was "chronic disease state"-is that real or hand waving. I don't understand. Although I drink wine periodically, I'm not an alcoholic. What if any tests do I still want? Could any of this be related to nocturnal problems? Or autonomic symptoms? I read that elevated folate could be due to lysing RBC but my bilirubin (and alk phos, for whatever reason, abnormally low) is low too.

Thank you for thoughts!