View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 02:23 PM

If you are going to start Vitamin D I would suggest taking D3 since that is more effective than D2. A good guideline to follow is that for every 1000 iu's of D3 you can expect about a 10 point increase in your D levels. That would be a conservative dose at this point and it's not a hard/fast rule. We take 5000 iu's along with a vitamin K2. It's a good idea to include the K2 when you take D3. Jarrow, Life Extension, NOW and Thorne research are all good brands.

You may have noticed on other threads that vitamin D3 and K2 have helped others with MDS.

I would still recommend getting your homocysteine & MMA checked if you can. If it's elevated, supplementing with the active form of folate would be appropriate.

If you don't want to test, you can add in the bio-active forms of B12, B6 and Folate. I can suggest some approaches if you're interested. The B vitamins are very safe and most can tolerate them. I like to introduce things one at a time so that I can track any side effects.

Regarding your low ANC. Don't be too worried. You actually have enough to fight off any infection. My husband did fine with an ANC below 1 for quite a while. The vitamin D can help here.

I assume your doctor checked your iron?
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.