View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 03:48 PM

Haemodilution crossed my mind too but I didn't get any saline. When the blood ran out they simply flushed my port with a 10 ml syringe, heparin locked it and removed the needle because the blood had run out and the line was full of air. The line was not flushed with saline between blood units. My doctor is very cautious and is very on the ball about having too much fluid. He even comes and listens to my heart and lungs after each unit of blood. (Threatens Lasix ).

The woman from pathology came about an hour later and took the blood test from my arm. The Hb taken half an hour after my previous transfusion of 3 units was 104 (pre Hb was 75) and my line was flushed with saline that time.

I was just wondering if this is what people mean when they say that "transfusions don't work any more". Maybe some donated blood just doesn't "take".

Also it's almost 18 hours since my transfusion finished and I'm having trouble breathing. My chest feels tight and I'm wheezing. I don't get asthma and this hasn't happened before. I will ring the doctor when he starts work (it's 5.40 am here) and let him know. It's not bad, just uncomfortable.

I suppose I can ask him about the post transfusion Hb at the same time. Maybe it can take a day or so to rise sometimes.

Regards

Chirley