View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 4, 2014, 05:06 PM

I am sending prayers to your family that Arnav has a full recovery. Checking chimerism at 30 days seems a little early, but it may give the doctors an idea as to whether the graft is taking in light of falling blood counts. It seems that normal practice is to check at about 60 days, but a 30 day can give the doctor a starting point.

As for the blood counts and transfusion needs, I have seen people on the forums need blood transfusions as late as 6 months after transplant and still have a good recovery. The one thing that we know is that they will fluctuate, sometimes wildly. Initially your marrow is working very hard to make new blood, it reaches a certain level, then slows down production, and then may speed up again to get to the right amounts.

Since my transplant in February of this year, my wbc has gone from 1.5 when I was released from the hospital to 8.8, back down to 2.7 back up to 5.8, and this could reflect any number of causes, viral infection, marrow changes, or even GVHD according to the doctor.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.