View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 4, 2009, 10:16 PM

Promacta for platelets

Hello Kirby and fellow forum members,
I've been browsing this forum for approximately one year now ever since my dx with possible MDS. I appreciate all the useful info and support that the forum members provide. Kirby, I was particularly interested in your post about the Promacta as I have a very slowly dropping platelet count over many, many years with a mild macrocytic anemia. My white cells are fine. My hematologist suggested a trial of Prednisone to rule out an ITP type picture since my bone marrow only showed mild dysplasia without significant blasts or chromosomal abnormalities. It did not work. I have now been running platelet counts from 27,000 to 22,000 (most recent) over the last year with Hb in 9.5 - 10 range. I've had no bleeding justs bruises and petechiae. My options are limited. I wait and watch which is fine with me. My hematologists did not recommend Nplate due to safety concerns and trial results showing some pts developed leukemia. I guess the safety data is not yet in on Promacta. I hope that you will do well on it and the thalidomide. I would be interested to know what your actual platelet counts have been since starting the Promacta. Also how much did they drop when you were on Vidaza or Dacogen and on thalidomide? Thanks for sharing your inspiring personal story and best wishes. I would also like to thank Birgetta for all the useful information that she posts. TyTd