View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 13, 2012, 11:39 PM

I was allowed to send a non specific note to my donor after 4 months 6/12). It was to be reviewed by my donor team, the donor' own team and ultimately given to her if there was no specific information reavealing who or where I was.
10 days ago I was handed a card from my donor dated in June.
My main interest was to thank her, and let her know I cared if she was ok or not. (she donated bone marrow, not stem cells). I told her I was recovering, doing wel, even though the process was slower than I hoped.
She said she was fine afterwards,sore. her mother and financee did not want to go forward, (I guess that was why there were 4 dates, which "she was not available", only to finally agree on the fifth suggested date to proceed).
She said she missed a week of school and work, but felt great now.
She had been told she could also contact me via the same channels however, she would be notified the facts no matter, including if the outcome had been poor, and she didn't want to know that. She decided to wait.
It was so great to make some contact, I'm still blown away and still wonder why this 22yr old girl would choose a bone marrow donation over a stem cell donation. I'm still perplexed of my donor nurse was looking for that and why?
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.