View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 5, 2009, 09:21 PM

Mom at Day +41 and not eating

Hi everyone-

I am hoping that someone who has had a BMT might have some insight/advise for me. My mom has MDS/AML and had a BMT in August. She is 65 years old, and prior to being diagnosed with MDS in March 2009, was in very good health. She has always been thin, but lost weight prior to and after the transplant. She started out at about 130 lbs and is down to about 85 lbs; she is 5'5. She says that nothing tastes good and is simply not eating. I can't imagine that she went through aggressive chemo twice and then the BMT to literally starve to death. She said that no matter what she's not going back to the hospital.

Her counts are going up well but she's tired and gets out of breath when just walking a few feet. So now, she is losing all of her muscle tone and is sleeping all of the time.

She met with the doctor today and her doctor is taking the tough love approach. Eat or come back to the hospital (which, remember she says she will not do). At her last appt. I talked with her doctor and had her put on zoloft since I am sure that depression is playing a significant role here.

I just feel helpless. She lives about 2 hours away and I work, etc., so I can't be there to try to get her to eat and my dad is not having any luck.

Does anyone have any advise or a similiar experience?

Thanks,
Amy