View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 08:31 AM

It is true that vitamin c will increase the uptake of iron from food. However, unless you have hemochromatosis, the body is pretty good at regulating that uptake based on need and that should not be a big concern. I think taking vitamin one to two hours before a phlebotomy could be helpful. I would get a buffered Vitamin C as it's easier on the tummy when taking between meals.

Green tea, coffee, red wine and anything else with tannins will reduce the uptake of iron during a meal. And green tea has other health benefits as well.

On lactoferrin...it's been so long since I read about it that I can't recall how effective it is. John never tried it. I think I know one person who did but did not see much of an effect.

It's not unusual for the ferritin to increase in the presence of an infection or inflammation so I would not worry about that right now. Just keep an eye on it. 300 is not a big jump. Ferritin is actually a good thing in that it binds the free iron making it safe. Bacteria loves an iron rich environment.

Regarding the liver enzymes....those too can take a hit with an illness and may not have any clinical importance. I know you always have to be concerned with GVHD of the liver so it does warrant watching. If they are slightly elevated, I wouldn't panic just yet. If the infection caused it, then they will most likely normalize over time.

Watching all these numbers can drive you to drink. They certainly played with my emotions. My mood would shift with each new lab report.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.