View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 05:25 AM

I don't know about studies so all I can tell you is my experience:

I had a Reduced Intensity Conditioning (RIC, ie: "mini-transplant") Matched Unrelated Donor (MUD) Stem Cell Transplant (SCT). My donor was a 9 out of 10 match.

My conditioning was Busulfan, Fludarabine, and Campath (no radiation).

I was on Cyclosporin for only 2 months post transplant (this is rare. Normally it's 6mo-1yr).

The only GVH I experienced was of the skin (an itchy, hive-like rash a month or so post-transplant before stopping the Cyclosporin, and this responded well to topical ointments, and then I had a few isolated patches of eczema until about 6 months post transplant), and clinically this was classed as "extremely mild".

(This makes it sound like my transplant experience was all sunshine, rainbows, and gumdrops - it wasn't. But you just asked about GVH so I'm not going into detail about my meningitis, liver and lung infections, blood pressure problems, etc!)
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)