View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 05:03 PM
Owner

Data,

Clinical-level depression is a medical condition that deserves as much attention as any other medical condition.

On the other hand, feeling down and discouraged some of the time is not only common but perfectly understandable, especially when your life has an ongoing challenge like this.

The distinction may be in whether or not you can carry on with what you need to do and what you like to do, from day to day. If you have debilitating depression, you likely need help that a few suggestions can't provide, even if you aren't eager to seek that help.

If you're just hoping to find ways to stay in a better mood, perhaps a few suggestions would help. I'm not an expert, but I suspect that to keep the uncertainty of MDS from dominating your attention it would help to concentrate on what you CAN control, and trying to make those aspects of your life the way you want them. That includes not only good diet, regular exercise, enough rest, and staying involved in a variety of activities, but being an involved/active/informed patient who partners with the doctor. This is all easier said than done, of course, but I think it's a good place to direct your efforts.

I also think it helps a lot to be with other people. A mixture of personalities can balance out the mood, give everyone somebody to talk to and listen to, and keep your mind on other people, not just yourself. That's kind of how these forums operate.

At the same time, we all need to give ourselves permission for a little melancholy now and then. Anyone with human emotions will have ups and downs. Nobody can be upbeat all the time, and we shouldn't expect it of ourselves.