Thread: pneumonia
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 17, 2011, 08:15 AM

what a week!

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on here in so long!! I came back on to see if anyone with MDS has had pneumonia, and found this conversation going on.

My mom has been fighting MDS for 3 years, she is turning 78 in a few weeks. Last week we thought she was fighting a stomach virus, then last Monday 11/7, she woke up with a 104 fever and when my father went to help her off the bed to go to ER she fell to the floor and couldn't move. We called the ambulance and rushed her to the ER, where they started to treat her for what they thought was a bad urinary tract infection, on Wednesday (two days later), they realized that her appendix ruptured, they wanted to do emergency surgery, but you can't do emergency surgery when someone doesn't have platelets or hemoglobin is 7.8. So they transfused her through the night and did surgery on Thursday. After surgery, she had rough days and good days, they finally did a chest xray and found pneumonia in her left lung. Yesterday they did another xray and found that it is now in the other lung. I wanted to know if anyone knows if this is something that she can recover from, being 78 years old and tired. I know I'm looking for the "sure, she'll recover" answer, but I'm trying to be positive and realistic at the same time. WBC 1.3, just transfused for blood and platelets.

PS. good to see you on here Cheri, hope you are doing well!! I think of you often!!

Paula