Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 6, 2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
I will find out how much I can actually divulge here! (anyone ever have any restrictions on what they can say about their clinical trial? Greg H?)
Hey Cheri!

They will likely provide you with several pages of legal mumbo-jumbo to sign when you enter the trial, and that should have stuff in it about disclosures -- if there are in fact any restrictions. I'd be surprised if there are any, since they have to register their trial with the FDA and all that sort of stuff.

But my trial is with a branch of the federal government, using a drug developed by a university, which probably makes disclosure less of an issue than a trial that involves a drug company, if yours does. You'll probably want to ask them. Tell them we all want a blow-by-blow account, and we're their best source of potential customers, so they should let you fill us in!

On your platelet experience, I am sure glad that turned out okay. One of the things I have begun to suspect about my platelet ups and downs is that the number depends, to some extent, on how thorough the lab is that day. I often have notations about large platelets and giant platelets -- and often a second note with that indicating the lab did a manual recount of the sample.

But sometimes, like with my last result -- not from my usual lab -- there's no notation -- and often a lower count. My suspicion -- though I don't know this for sure -- is that the automatic platelet counting machine doesn't like large and giant platelets, and so it leaves them out of the count.

If anyone else has any insights into this, speak up.

Good luck Cheri!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com