View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 05:43 PM

Hi Greg,

on Slide 10 of the presentation belonging to the MDS Asco Abstract 7012 you can see the changes in iron chelating qualities of fresh wheat grass in the process of growing.

http://www.asco.org/ASCOv2/MultiMedi...sessionID=3112

Slides 18 and 19 show a comparison of the iron chelating qualities of DFO and wheatgrass.

I tried to find out the theoretically best "age" of fresh harvested wheatgrass for the purpose of iron chelation. Believing that the content of the presentation is realistic, i asked different sellers of tablets or powder, how old their wheatgrass had been at the time of harvest Only one seller (an Indian, mentioned in the Thalassemia Patients and Friends Forum linked above) told me that his wheat grass was harvested when 5 - 7 days old. This seller has delivered wheat grass tablets to Indian hospitals for the purpose of studies, as mentioned in one of the studies and also assured be him (you can call him by phone) His wheatgrass tablets and powder are more expensive than the products taken from older wheatgrass. (There exists an old Indian tradition with wheat grass use.

A German seller proudly told me that his wheatgrass tablets had been produced from wheatgrass "in the jointing stage" and it would have been 17- 21 days old . But "in the jointing stage" it should be already 7 - 10 inches or 17,78 - 25,40 cm high as described in the following link, and so supposedly older than the wheatgrass used for the Indian MDS-Study 2009.

There seems to be still no knowledge "in the west" among the sellers concerning iron chelating properties of wheat grass; They sell it for other health purposes and take - in my experiences from phone calls and web-informations - older wheat grass as used in the Indian MDS Study for that.

"Jointing stage" : http://www.nutrigrass.com/jointingstage.htm

Thanks for the roses, dear Greg. Hopefully that i could answer your question.

Akita

Last edited by akita : Thu Jul 21, 2011 at 06:07 PM.