View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 4, 2011, 06:49 PM
Owner

Hi Sherry.

It's natural to be scared, but I'll point out some positives that I hope you'll keep in mind.
  • When ATG treatment has worked before, it can work the same way (or better) again. Many patients repeat ATG. Forum member Andrea Pecor has had ATG five times and is still going strong.

• At age 57 your husband is not a kid, but many MDS patients are in their 60s or older and respond well to treatment. If he's in pretty good health other than MDS (used to fresh air and exercise as a boat captain) then that gives him an edge too.

• Since the cardiologist says he's healthy enough to proceed, you get to go for it. Otherwise you'd have to choose from other treatment options that may not be as likely to succeed.

• Cyclosporin usually accompanies ATG treatment so I'm puzzled why you didn't have it with the previous ATG; that's something you can ask Dr. List. Your husband is getting the standard combination this time and that's good. Cyclosporin has side potential effects but the doctors know to watch out for them or try to prevent them. Sometimes it causes hair growth, which can be an annoyance for women, but less likely to bother men.

• I'm sorry that you aren't in great health yourself and that you have to care for a daughter and husband at the same time, so thank goodness your brother-in-law is stepping in. That type of family support makes a big difference.

• Finally, you're in great hands with Dr. List and the Moffitt Center!
It sounds like you and your husband are doing all the right things, including asking to talk to others who have had similar experiences, and I wish you the best of luck.