View Single Post
Old Wed May 4, 2011, 11:44 AM

Thank you for your generosity in donating. My 7 yo son, Andrew was just diagnosed with MAA on 4/13/11. There is so many questions that I have. I am hoping to find some help, answers, and encouragment from people on here. When Andrew was 3 the doctor started giving him an iron supplement (which was awfully hard to get him to drink 1tbs twice a day. It tasted so bad!) In 2008 he was diagnosed with Macrocytic Anemia which means that his rbc's were larger than normal even when his iron was low. He has been going to a hematologist/oncologist at Devos Children's Hospital in Grand Rapids, Mi every 6 months since then. Last October he had his first BMB done. At his last labs/physical appt. there, his labs changed. Now he is diagnosed with MAA. He will be having another BMB this October. It seems like such an awful lot for a child to go through. We are at the watch and wait stages which is so hard as a parent, as many of you may know. He is also now being referred over to U of M, so maybe they will give me a little more insight. If anyone has a child who is going or gone through this in MI, please let me know. Also if there is anyone who has info on the Children's Special Health Care Services, I would appreciate it very much. Please keep Andrew in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you