View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 03:03 PM

New to pure red cell aplasia

Hello all,
I'm Kate, 33 yo RN, mother of 3, who has just been dx "tentatively" w/PRCA. My story started about a month ago when I started experiencing a lot of tachycardia and weakness at work. It eventually reached the point where, in the middle of my shift I had to leave and go to the ER, thinking I had the flu. Upon arrival my hgb was 3.9 & my hct was 10. Shocking to say the least. Spent 3 days in hosp. got 3 units, had a *failed* bone marrow biopsy, and was sent home w/a hgb of 5.8 & a follow up in 2 days. At that appt hgb was up to 7.3 (yay), all manner of tests still pending, so once again went home w/follow up in 6 days. At that appt I went in confident, only to find I'd dropped to 5.8 again. Admitted for 2 days, 2 more units, another bone marrow biopsy- this one successful. TONS of testing for strange diseases, and discharged pending results. Now it's 3 days later, results aren't back yet but hgb this morning was up to 7.9, was put on 100 mg of prednisone daily as well, 3 days ago. I guess my question is- should I still feel so exhausted?? I've tried to research PRCA but there's not much out there.... I'm very new to this and truthfully rather scared so ANY input or advice would be truly appreciated. Thank