Thread: serum sickness
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 1, 2009, 10:11 AM

Lynn del -

I replied to your PM but for anyone else here, I also stopped responding to the usual platelet pools and then also to single donor platelets but HLA matched platelets have worked really well for me, usually making me increment about 50 points per bag (I have to have another count about an hour after each bag just to be sure). I've only had one bag that didn't take, as I apparently already had antibodies against that particular person despite the matching.

The other thing that really has helped with the bleeding and petechiae when I'm between transfusions is Tranexamic Acid, which makes the blood "sticky" and really makes a difference for me. I take 1000mg 4 times a day when my platelets are low (I can usually feel it or see the signs) which is great if it happens to fall on a weekend when the haematology day units are closed.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)