View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:33 PM

Hi!
I just wanted to let you know I am feeling your worry! I'm only 32(still consider myself young) and am going in for a PBSCT in the next couple weeks. I too want to have kids one day, but the chemotherapy does a doozy I hear. But I have also heard that some people are able to eventually have a baby after receiving chemo. I hope that's me too.
A donor was found for me 6 weeks ago and in that time, my blood counts have dropped very low. My gyno said that it was too late for me to harvest any eggs. I believe you have to receive injections of estrogen to get your ovaries working overtime to produce more eggs. But that also means menstruating. And with having low platelets(lower than 20), that just wasn't an option for me. I want to reserve my precious blood cells!
My doctor prescribed me a nasal spray called Synarel. It's prescribed for patients with Endometriosis, but it could help me. It's supposed to basically put my ovaries into a deep sleep, with hopes it will sort of lessen the impact of the chemo on my fertility. Theoretically it's supposed to work, but it's worth a try.
But if you've got time before your BMT, and your platelets are still high, I wish you good luck!!

Jody