View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 09:25 PM

Hi,

I interchange between the US and Oz measurements. It depends how I'm feeling

Honey, I don't know about your institution but at my previous daycare they transfused under 100. This was only for transfusion dependant people though. If you had surgery and your Hb was under 100 they wouldn't transfuse because your body would eventually raise the Hb itself but if you had a disease where you couldn't make blood for yourself (eg MDS) they transfused under 100.

I've had blood given to me with a Hb of 98 because it was going to be another two weeks to my next appointment.

As for the ability to work with a low Hb....I can't fathom that one. I worked as a nurse in an acute hospital and one evening shift I received a phone call to say my Hb was 53 and I needed to go to ED for a transfusion. I felt perfectly okay. Then other times I was sure I needed blood because I was dizzy, tired and breathless only to find out my Hb was okay.

I eventually had to stop work due to other problems but I managed to work quite well while having regular transfusions. I was lucky though, I could schedule transfusions on my days off work so I didn't need to take a lot of sick leave.

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion