View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 29, 2013, 11:10 PM

Chirley, I do have income protection and will be investigating this soon, so I am prepared when I need to make the decision to stop work (temporarily). It just makes it easier for my employer to find a replacement and will take the stress off me thinking of work. I know I have to wait three months before I can access it though once the decision is made.

(rolling my eyes) I agree with your comments on our social security. Several years ago I was admitted to hospital with suspect appendicitis, but they removed a 25 cm tumour. I was off for 7 weeks had full abdominal surgery and was in a abdo bandage. Because I was on a contract and had a new job I did not have sick leave. Social Security would not give me one cent, because I did not put my form in while I was in hospital. How did I know I had to do that? I have had a job all my life and paid taxes and I get nothing not even a health care card to subsidise medications. I didn't even qualify under special circumstances but if you get out of prison, are a refugee etc you can have money under special circumstances. Not if your a taxpayer and have a health emergency. Go figure. I had to go to my local member, one who gave up after a while because it became too hard fighting the social security system but one did have success applying for an ex gratia payment which I received several months later. The payment was about $2000. By then the damage was done, I had debts which took a while to get my head above water again. I had to survive on handouts from charities to eat etc during my illness. It was very humbling and soul destroying, and STRESSFUL. It is why I will never want to be in that predicament again and making sure while I am healthier I take time to research all I can regarding my finances and get everything set up ready to go so there is no outside stress during treatment. My partner can work away so we have also been preparing other things right down to having an organisation that can walk and feed my pooch, meal deliveries etc.

Greg I do read the forums regularly as well but not at work lol. I am finding them very useful, especially as I am not getting any answers from my haemotologist. I like your blog btw..well done

Honey <===== loves Judge Judy's no nonsense, kick in the pants approach. A couple of the magistrates I used to work with in the country region should watch the show and learn something.
Dx June 2013 MDS del 5q and 7t. Further chromosone changes August 2017. Lenolidomide and 10 months on Azacytadine failed. Transition to AML August 2018 failed induction chemo. Trial drug FT2101 failed at 6 months. Next on Venetoclax with cytoterabine.