View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 6, 2010, 10:44 AM

Hi Emma,
I am 26 and I had my transplant June 18, 09 for aplastic anemia. I would recommend taking a look at the transplant part of this forum. There are a few of us that went through transplants last summer and we wrote there about them. For me personally, my physician had me do horse ATG twice before transplant. He said transplant is a huge undertaking, which it is, and wanted to make sure to exhaust all options before heading in that direction. Although, I did not wait 6 months between each ATG as my counts were very low. I also did not wait 6 months after my second round before heading to BMT. The first thing to see is if you have a good bone marrow match. If you do not have a match then it would be more likely that you would try a second round of ATG. If you have a perfect match then I would say go for the transplant. You are young and a transplant is your cure all. Be prepared for your life to be interrupted for at least a year. I had very long hair and losing it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would too. What have your counts been like?
Laura