View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 3, 2011, 11:38 PM

My mother - 64 y - was diagnosed MDS RAEB2 in May 2011 ( 20% blast ), flow cytometry shows 12-13% blasts, cd45 - low to middle expression, cd11b/-+/, cd33/+/, cd36/+-/, cd117/+/, cd34/+/, HLA-DR /+/, CD71/+/
On 28.06.2011 she made a very big phlegmona of the abdominal wall ( withouth peritonitis) she received it from exercise ( due to overextension of the muscle, then lifting a heavy baggage and considering the disease - hypoplastic bone marrow...)
She was admitted on 22.06.2011 in hematology department with high temperature not able to slow down and a second bone marrow biopsy ( after they treated her in the hospital for 6 days with 3 types of antibiotics simultaneously) shows 65% blasts.So she is diagnosed AML right now and we should begin chemotherapy immediately - cytarabine and anthracycline.
I`d like to ask 1. Is it possible that the recent phlegmona, treated with powerful and 5 different types of antibiotics, and now once again 6 days on powerful antiboitcs - 3 types influenced the % of the blast?
2.Cytarabine or Vidaza for iduction is better?
The doctors here ( i`m writing from Bulgaria) don`t have experience with Vidaza.

Best regards,
Julia