View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 19, 2016, 09:14 AM

I certainly have experience with Amicar. It worked extremely well for me in many circumstances (I have aplastic anemia with a platelet count that, over the years, has been between 0 and about 30,000 usually). I can have no more platelet transfusions because, after 44 years, I've developed antibodies that prohibit my taking further blood products.

I was told about six months ago that Amicar would no longer be available to me. At first, I was told that "the drug is no longer being manufactured," and then I was told that no drug coverage would be available to me for Amicar and I'd have to pay for it out of my own pocket. (I'm on a Medicare Advantage plan through my husband's retirement benefits. I figure that as someone over 65, I'm being "phased out" myself.) Finally, I was told at the University of Michigan that no one would give me a prescription for it and, despite its fine success for me in the past with hemorrhaging problems, it would no longer be provided to me by any means.

Amicar caused no side effects for me, which was unusual because most drugs do, or I have allergies to them. Amicar worked well in stopping stopping spontaneous hemorrhaging and healing petechiae. Its unavailability to me is pretty distressing.

I wish your husband very well with this fine drug. I'm sorry it's so expensive for you - but at least it's available to him. Amicar (aminocaproic acid) helped me a lot!

Margaret