View Single Post
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 07:11 PM

Thank you Birgitta
The link took me to the article but registration required to read it and so 31.00.
The study you posted seems to support the current system in use.
All I was saying is that you could spend many hours combing papers from1980 till now and it all brings you back to the same place we were 20 years ago. Aside from Vidaza, Dacogen, and some experimental hypomethylating drugs that might buy 9 months there has been little progress. What progress that has been is recognizing this and going to SCT. Now the game becomes how do we increase survival curves with SCT. There you get action because SCT can cure a lot of different diseases broadening interest and therefore money. As sad is may seem, w/a/disease that affects 6/100,000 people per year 80% over the age of 70 you can see there's not much in it to warrant investment in research. However if you can treat MDS AND some other disease not as rare then its more attractive. I think this is why all of the clinical trials I have come across lump mdsers w/ AML,CML, or something not as rare. Thanks again
P.S. Vidaza, dacogen,SGI110, these are used because they demethylate dna. The researchers believe DNA gets over methylated and as such chromosomes get whacked and genes cant express(make proteins) so by demehylating you get gene expression and hopefully remission for a while.

Last edited by sbk007 : Fri May 10, 2013 at 07:22 PM.