View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 3, 2013, 03:16 PM

#2 donor steps up

We're still reeling from the fact that my H's donor backed out. But the good news is #2 donor has stepped up to the plate.

The coordinator tells us that #2 is 100% committed to donating - he's 50 yrs old - same blood type too. Thats about all I know right now. The induction chemo and transplant is now pushed ahead to April 15th and the transplant to happen on the 22nd. He'll be at Jeanes Hospital in Philadelphia.

Dennis has to go for some blood work tomorrow and also to check his counts - which hopefully have not changed in the past two weeks. He was scheduled to have a 5th round of chemo at the end of March - but because of the close date of the induction chemo (April 8th) the dr said to forego the last round of vidaza. I really hope everything is ok. Seems there is always something to worry about, isn't there? Of course, now I worry that something will happen to donor #2 - a car accident or something beyond his control that prevents him from donating.

I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that the young man would back out this late in the process but I need to let that go and focus on the gentleman who HAS stepped up to the plate.
Kathy, wife of Dennis (58 yrs old) diagnosed October 2012 w/MDS; bone marrow biopsy confirmed significant fibrosis;blast cells of 5%-10% of total cells, high risk refractory anemia w/ excess blasts (RAEB1); 3 cytogenetic markers; +1, -7, and +21
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/dennismolyneaux