View Single Post
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 01:00 PM

Has anyone relpased after 5yrs in remission?

I used to frequent the AA-MDS list alot when diagnoised with SAA in 1999. But haven't dropped in for a long time. I have been very well for some years now, having been in complete remission for over 5years. Iron overload, from all the transfusions, was a problem for a long time but even that is good now. Icredit my remission to great medical management in New Zealand and taking up regular exercise and lowering stress levels. AA no longer features in my life apart from annual visit to Heam Doctor. Two years ago, confident of good health we moved to Qatar..... and in recent months my energy levels are flagging, and I just don't feel so well anymore. My Hb has dropped just below normal range for first time in 5 years, and my thyroid function is borderline low.My other counts have always hovered in the low end of normal range. I am worried. It may be a just a blip, but I would be grateful to know of anyone who has relapsed after so long. My Heam Doctor in new Zealand said that such a long enduring remission is an excellent sign. I am going back to new Zealand to see him next month. I would appreciate any comments or feedback. Is there anyone else on this forum who lives in the Middle East? Thankyou