View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 21, 2015, 06:49 PM

Changing Cancer Treatment Provider

I have been going to a local Cancer Treatment facility for a year now for MDS. It has gotten to where I never see the same doctor or PA when I go to my monthly Vidaza sessions. In fact I have not seen a doctor since July, nor have I had any Vidaza shots since July. This provider says that since my platelet count is less than 100 they will not give me Vidaza until my count gets back to at least 100. When I started Vidaza in September 2014 my platelet count was about what it is now (61) and this did not stop them from giving Vidaza back then. This provider only gives Vidaza for a period of 5 days once a month not the recommended 7 days of Vidaza shots that other providers recommends.

Today I went and got a second opinion from another Cancer Center. This provider is 22 miles from where I live versus the 4 miles distance that I am now traveling. The doctor I saw today spent 70 minutes with me and my wife discussing MDS and my case. They give Vidaza for 7 days straight every six weeks. It would mean that I would have to go to the hospital across the road from this providers office for Vidaza shots on days 6 and 7 which would be Saturday and Sunday.

Has anyone else been faced with a situation similar, or had to make a decision like this? Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.