View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 2, 2016, 11:44 PM

Can you have a hematological problem and a normal CBC?

Can you have a hematological problem and a normal CBC?

Back in 2005, I was diagnosed with MAA. After a few years, my counts started slowly climbing towards normal, reaching nearly normal perhaps last year, but fairly close to normal over the past ~4 years. I was also told in 2006 that I had a 25% 13q deletion and 1% PNH clone in my granulocytes. Last year, the PNH clone was granulocytic (5.3%) and monocytic (9.9%). So, still quite small.

Over the past year, I have had various GI symptoms (which were mostly alleviated by avoiding gluten). However, I still have nausea and moderate pain/discomfort in the upper left region of my abdomen (under the rib). In fact, this area around my abdomen is visibly swollen (a bit). My exercise capacity is severely reduced. Last year, I ran the Boston Marathon and various other races; over the past couple weeks I've barely been able to jog, but the decline has been present for several months.

My CBC is normal.
In Jan and Feb, I had an ultrasound, CT scan, endoscopy, and colonoscopy, which were all normal. (Yet again, the left upper quadrant of my abdomen is now visibly swollen -- that discomfort has definitely increased over the past few months).

(It is surprisingly difficult to get a doctor's appointment in NM. I keep getting put in a 1-2 month long queue. I waited 1.5 months to see an internist in Jan who requested the tests, but there is no follow-up.)

I originally assumed this was a GI problem (given the normal CBC), but is it possible at all that this is hematological...despite the normal CBC?

Thanks!