View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 21, 2015, 06:25 PM

Promacta an side effects to liver

I haven't posted in awhile and wanted to give an update and had a few questions. My dad was diagnosed with SAA in September last year. Not healthy enough for atg or bmt. Tried cyclosporine but didn't help and side effects were too much for my dad and kidney levels too high. Started promacta at the first of the year. Just started max dose, 150mg, today. Platelets have been 3000 and today were 6000. I was excited by that,but doc wasn't. Anyone else think this is good or am I just being too hopeful? They haven't been above 4000 since this all started in June 2014. My biggest question is that today his doc was hesitant for him to continue the promacta because his liver numbers have been been increasing the past couple of weeks. His ALT today was 121 and his AST was 53. What is considered too high? Anyone else have issues with liver levels? Doc said if they continue to go up with no improvement in his numbers then he wants to stop promacta in a month and go to supportive care only. My dad is also on Keppra for his seizure disorder and in February started exjade. Wasn't sure if these could effect liver levels also? Also curious on how long to give the promacta before u know its not working? He's been able to go to every other weak for his blood transfusions, which he also was able to do while on cyclosporine. His blood work today was Hgb 9.1, RBC 3.16, ANC .71, WBC 1.5 and platelets 6000. Thank you!