View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 05:22 AM

Smile More skin issues

Since I last wrote, I was diagnosed with AML and have undergone three rounds of chemo in what looks like a promising drug trial.
I had skin issues on admission to hospital in August, but biopsies were "non specific that time. After my third round of chemo, I developed a bright red rash all over my body ... Plateaus that started out as blister like nodules and quickly changed. I itched so badly that I begged the nurses to scratch my back during the night, but of course, the best they could offer was a gentle, cold, wet facecloth rub as my platelets were very low. Yet another skin biopsy revealed Sweets Syndrome, but the Derms were puzzled because it usually presents as very painful and not itchy. Anyhow, it was, essentially a build up of neutrophils in the skin. The only treatment is high dose IV Prednisolone which brought another set of issues!
I started to feel "normal" just before Christmas and now enjoy long walks and lots of living, as well as occasional days on the sofa! My bloodwork is better than it's been for a long time and this week I have in-range WBC and neutrophils.
I have started Art Therapy as a way to deal with my fear of death but in the meantime am enjoying every minute of every day.
DX MDS RA Low Risk August 2012. DX Changed to MDS RAEB1. Progressed to AML July 2013. Participated in clinical chemo trial CPX351 and relapsed four months later in March 2014. Maintenance chemo -VIDAZA (AZA) stopped after 4 rounds. Awaiting full report from BMB.