View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 6, 2009, 02:01 PM

Cured?

Hi Cindy, Kathy and Helen,
You know when I participated in a Patient-Forum that MDS Foundation had in Stockholm in the spring 2009 I learnt that there are MDS-patients that really get cured after treatment with drugs .

Professor Eva Hellström-Lindberg who is one of the best MDS doctors in the world showed a slide about patients with RA or RCMD with normal karyotype (no chromosome aberrations) and HLA DR15 (a Human Leukocyte Antigen) that responded to immunosuppressive treatment slide 24:
http://www.ebmt.org/ebmt_2009_slide_bank/209.pdf

She also told us that the prognosis figures were old and the prognosis for almost all patients is much better today than her slides show.

This means that I believe that there are patients (though very few of us) that can be cured without a SCT perhaps after treatment with Vidaza 14 shots monthly (instead of 5, 7 or 10 shots). Some patients treated with Revlimid have managed very well too during many years.

I am aware of that most patients who stop treatment with Vidaza must try to find some other kind of effective treatment to slow down the disease.

“Never say never”
Kind regards
Birgitta-A