Thread: BMT advice
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 07:11 AM

Hi Michael - I'm sorry for your father in law's and your struggles. I'm sure his depression is difficult for him - as well as you and your wife. Its great is numbers are good - and it sounds like the depression is maybe secondary to the transplant. Perhaps he could see a social worker or psychiatrist/psychologist for an evaluation? A support group might be even better - the transplant center probably can help him find some kind of support - where I am a social worker is part of the team - and there are support groups for both care givers and patients. If he's religious, finding/renewing a spiritual connection may help.Maybe he can connect with someone on this forum - Eating and exercise are obviously good things to do , but often very difficult for someone who is depressed - even without cancer or a SCT. The support of his family is also obviously very important - and may also be difficult for him to accept.

I've had some very low moments throughout this process and I can understand a tendency to withdraw into a dark space of hopelessness and despair - its not a good place and can be hard to get out of - but at 70 with good numbers it sounds like your father in law has reason to hope and a family who loves him - he just has to see that.

Medically maybe they need to check his medication for something that could be causing or exacerbating an pre-existing depression - or maybe even adding an anti depressant - but I'd encourage you/him to talk to not just the oncologist/transplant doctors - but also a skill mental health practitioner that is hopefully part of the transplant team.

Good luck and best wishes,
Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015