View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 18, 2012, 10:15 PM

Hi Linda,

Below is how my dad reacted to the dacogen, but remember everyone is different.

My dad was on Vidaza for 15 months before it stopped working, then he went to Dacogen. At first the doctor was against using dacogen he didn't feel confindent that it would work, and was concerned about the side effects it would have on him. For both medicines we did the 5 day every 21 days. He virtually had no reaction to the vidaza, but the dacogen was very different. It seemed every side effect that was listed he experienced. The sores in the mouth were the worse. He did two months of the Dacogen before he said he couldn't take it anymore. The sores happened within 7 days of the first treatment. When my dad approched the subject with his hemo doctor he said according to his counts (Which I dont have in front of me right now), and all the side effects it was better to stop because he felt that it wasn't working. His last dose of the Dacogen was May 18th.

Prayers for both you and Al

Prayers and Hugs!!
Kim
Kim daughter of Phil 76; Diagnosed 2011 with MDS, Refractory anemia with excessive blasts; Diagnosed 2012 with AML; Treated with Vidaza and Dacogen; Currently only being treated with blood transfusions