View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 08:55 PM

He has what they call "subcapsular" cataracts (behind the lens) which could have been due to the Promacta. However he's 73 years old and they are still small and not a problem. I am 68 with no Promacta and I have small cataracts. Most people acquire them as they age. I wish mine would grow like a weed. When they fix them they also correct your vision.
Take care and please let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Sally
p.s. I just looked back and saw you started Promacta on March 8 - just 11 days ago. I believe it is way too soon to expect much. As I mentioned, Don started in the spring and had to have a platelet transfusion in Aug. for a procedure. It wasn't until the fall that his counts started rising - and it brought up all 3 lines. His reds were almost as much an issue as his platelets - which got as low as 4,000. He had over 125 blood/platelet transfusions starting in Jan., 2009. Since Sept., 2011, 6 months after starting Promacta, he never has needed another transfusion.
I know how it is to want things to happen fast but patience is valuable in this situation. Being stressed can't help. I hope you have a good support group. Lean on those who can help but also do your best to have a positive attitude. There is every reason to have great hope. As I mentioned - The NIH tried Promacta on Don (MDS) because of their success with AA. I speak from experience - you can drive yourself crazy reading all the potential side effects. Once you educate yourself try to let it go. Look outward. It's not easy but we all eventually go through things that are so easy to obsess on. A positive attitude is probably the best medicine you can have.

Last edited by Sally C : Tue Mar 19, 2019 at 09:28 PM.