View Single Post
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 05:03 PM

Questions for Dr visit

Beth & Bebop - Thanks for the info regarding hgb levels at trx.

And graphic is good, Bebop! My heart goes out to you, I know you have "been there done that" which I am only beginning. It is a great help to have your experience here. And Beth, it's so wonderful to get insight from an RN,BSN.

I've been researching Thalidomide since it is oral and has really seemed to help Birgitta and Kirby Stone.

From Birgitta: - At dx 2006 my HGB was 7.6. I started at once with blood txs and received 142 units of blood during 4 years. My dysfunctional platelets decreased slowly and May 2010 they were only 22. June 2010 I accepted Thalidomide 50 mg/day + Prednisone with positive response. After 4 weeks my platelets were 43 but my WBCs decreased so I continued with Thalidomide 50 mg 4 caps/week + Prednisone 5 mg/day. Since Sept 2010 I have not needed blood txs.

My latest counts (yesterday) were: HGB 12.4, WBCs 3.9 and platelets 93.

Birgitta - Do you think it was the 142 units of PBRC's, or the Thalidomide that contributed to your improved counts? Do you remember what your hgb count was when you began taking Thalidomide in June 2010?
It's really exciting that your counts are still so good two years later!

Are myeloma cells and blast cells the same thing? Thalidomide works by slowing the growth of myeloma cells and my Dad has excessive blasts - so I'm thinking this might be something good.
-deeno