View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 4, 2010, 08:58 PM

Hello David M.

My son also has slow moving AA. He was diagnosed with pancytopenia when he was 3 years old in 2002. It was watch and wait for us as well until his counts continued to decline over the years. He has completed two rounds of ATG, one horse in 2006 and ATG rabbit in 2008. He has had a total of about 6 transfusions during this time frame. His current blood counts are HGB 6.4, WBC 2.4, PLT 32K and his ANC 888. He is scheduled for a bone marrow biopsy & asperation on July 8th at Cooks Children Hospital, Ft. Worth.

A BMT is still up in the air. My son does not have a sibling match and the MUD we have found lives in Europe. His doctors are still not convinced that a BMT is the way to go. We have also seen Dr. Neil Young at NIH and he also states that he didnt think Gage was ready for a BMT. I'm just not sure what that turning point is.

As it turns out the ultimate deciding factor lies with my husband and myself. We are terrified that we may make a wrongh decission. My son Gage is almost 13 and still very young.

I wish you the very best in your journey and my prayers will be with you.