View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 08:49 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind words and prayers.

Recap: my mother was brought to hospital on Good Friday by ambulance with very high fever 40.1, admitted and started IV antibiotics in isolation. After 2 platelet and blood transfusions, her count never came up so after a week, doctor told us they were stopping all supportive care and would simply keep her comfortable.. 3 days later, the second last day before the end of her antibiotics, her counts stabilized and went up (a bit) on their own. Oncologist decided to try another transfusion to see if it would hold. Her platelets went from 8 to 17....we were all shocked.

Since she is stable (for now), she was able to go home. The doctor advised us that the next time she has an infection (guaranteed) they will not treat it with IV but orally and keep her comfortable as there isn't anything else to be done as she is in the final stages. She has no white blood cells, required weekly transfusions and now doctor has placed her on a new med to try to control bleeding (she has had none thus far in her illness)

This is such a roller coaster! As she said to the doctor " I know I'm supposed to be already dead but I supposed since I've never done that before, I don't quite know how to do it yet". How's that for attitude.

She continues to amaze me with her courage and strength.

I wonder how long she can go in the state. I really worry about her at her apartment alone...although she has a lot of help and visitors constantly.

Advice welcomed