View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 16, 2017, 02:29 PM

Immune compromised has a lot of components to it. The one that is followed the most is the ANC (absolute neutrophil count) which is what Ray was referring to. I know that above 2000 is considered pretty good for a person with MDS, although doctors don't get really worried until you are below 1000.

A low lymphocyte count can be a problem as well since lymphocytes are involved in identification and destruction of pathogens, as well as memory of those pathogens to mount an effective response quickly.

Some of the treatments both pre and post transplant can suppress the immune system without reducing the white blood cells in the system. They basically are made to be less effective temporarily.

The most direct answer to your question though is that somebody who is RAEB-1 may or may not be immune compromised. I had fairly normal white and red blood cell counts for about 3 years after my diagnosis and did not really have issues with getting infections except when my immune system was suppressed by drugs. RAEB-1 means that you have at least one of the three blood lines (platelets, red blood cells, white blood cells) that is below normal and you have above normal blasts, or immature white blood cells in your marrow.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.