View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 01:59 AM
Owner

Jx3,

I'm sorry that your dad's condition hasn't improved yet. But he has multiple paths to success at this point and still has a number of factors working in his favor.

First of all, if his status is unchanging, even with low blood counts, then he's better off than if his counts were dropping. Second, it's been only a few months since December and ATG can take longer to be effective. ATG often makes things worse before making them better, and it's hard to be patient month after month, but your dad could start to see benefits soon. Third, he's eligible (not too old) for a transplant. Fourth, he has a brother as a potential sibling match. Fifth, a search of the bone marrow registry may identify other potential donors. And last but not least, you are looking out for him. It's hard to overstate the importance of the support you are giving your dad.

Looking for a donor is a reasonable course of action and it doesn't mean that you are giving up on ATG, just that you're preparing a backup plan.

I'm sure it's very disappointing that your dad hasn't shown improvement already, and it's still a serious disease with risks that can't be ignored, but as your patience is tested I hope that you and your family can remain optimistic, see the positive possibilities, and keep your chins up. Good luck.