View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 10, 2012, 11:57 PM

Smile

Dear Mel,

Well I posted a long response but it has disappeared from my screen as it sometimes does.
here is what i say having had MUD transplant for MDS in Jan 2012.

Make sure this is the right time to have a BMT. There are now guidelines when to have one. I also got 2 additional opinions; all agreed BMT was the route, and now. I responded poorly to 3 rounds of Vidaza and suffered from Pancytopenia, requiring transfusions in 2 areas, and contracted pneumonia. Based on age and BMB profile of blasts and chromosones, etc, it can be determined if now is best.
Expect a different life for a year. Sorry. I never heard that message, and moving into my 7th month, I am finally acknowleding this fact I face. One does improve but for me it has been a dance of 2 steps forward, then 1 back,
I would say before hand be knowledgble as you can: do you have the same blood type as your sister? Which HLA 's match and which do not? Have you tested positive for Cmv virus (now)? Has your sister? You can be better prepared for possible complications afterward.

AAMDSIF website has great webinair conferences, including caring for yourself after treatment, for cognitive abilities and long term survivorship following treatment.

My hair grew back at 5-6 months, and everyone loves it including me. It is summer now, so I enjoy the short hair. January-May I wore Patagonia hats 24-7 as I was always freezing.
Best thing of all, this can be a cure!!!! Next best of all, no pain!!!! Game of Thrones read through all 5 volumes. Silver lining, I lost some weight!

Donna
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.