Thread: New to AA
View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 2, 2007, 04:59 PM

Hi Donna,

Welcome and sorry that you need to be here. As you already know, they don't usually treat moderate AA. There are only a few options out there for SAA. Bone Marrow Transplant and immunosuppressant therapies. I would recommend you research all of them before making any decisions. Any path you choose, be sure to work with a doc/health care team familar with AA. I would recommend you speak with at least, Dr. Neil Young at NIH regarding ATG therapy and then also, Dr. Brodsky regarding High Dose Cytoxan. These are your options if you don't have a matched donor sibling for a BMT. There's a couple of other docs that parents like really like. Ones in wisconsin and the other at the Cleveland Clinic. Can't remember their names though. I'm sure other will know.

AA strikes children as young as two month old to older adults. There's another site you can post to find other mothers/fathers whos children have AA. Its www.aplasticcentral.com Just click on the forum at the top to get to it.

Again, now is the time to research all your options and varous hospital so that you can make an informed decision if needed.

If at any point A.jae needs blood products, be sure they are irradiated, leukocyte reduced/filtered.

You can live a very long time with moderate counts so that's good. You'll be amazed at what the body can handle. So what are her counts now and are they stable?

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.