View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 22, 2012, 04:31 PM

Thanks for your reply Sally!

I have had an autoimmune blood disorder for 30 years and have been treated with Cytoxan twice-that is what the Drs. think has damaged my bone marrow.

Every time I get any type of infection it triggers my blood disorder and I wind up in the hospital. My white count is so low, I get infections all the time-plus I have an immune deficiency-so it is kind of a slippery slope.

My Drs. both have a little different take on my situation. My hematologist here feels that the exact diagnosis doesn't really matter, that I will need a BMT whether it is AA, MDS or a combination. The BMT Dr. in Nashville is worried that I will have a flare up of my blood disorder during the transplant process, which could be "disastrous", and wants to take the "wait and see" approach and keep doing biopsies until we determine exactly what type of damage I have.

I do want to be cautious, but in the meantime I keep being hospitalized with sepsis which I know is not good. My hematologist here is the one who has to deal with each hospitalization and she said eventually one of these infections is going to kill me, so she feels more of an urgency. I do take neupogen shots when my WBC gets really low, but my count is not responding to the shots like it used to and I am requiring more and more RBC and platelet transfusions-especially when I have an infection.

Sorry, I am rambling. Like I said before in my earlier post, I had tried to put this out of my mind while I was dealing with other things but now the biopsy date is getting closer so I'm trying to sort it out in my mind again.

What treatments has your husband had, if you don't mind me asking?