View Single Post
Old Tue May 21, 2013, 01:41 PM

Eczema Eventually Dangerous?

I have a question... currently, my platelets are in the mid-30K range. They are dropping very slowly (typically a few points each year). So far, I have not really had any clotting issues... whenever I get a scratch or small cut, it bleeds for a while and then clots up.

I also have some eczema (rash, small bumps) that are pretty itchy at times. Sometimes, for example during the night, I will scratch a patch of eczema until it begins to bleed a little. The bleeding has always stopped after a short time. But...

Looking down the road, if my platelet dropping trend continues, will there come a point that this "innocent" eczema could become a major problem? It seems like eventually, scratching the skin until it starts to bleed (even a little) could be a very bad thing!

Also, since I have pancytopenia -- all my counts are slowly dropping over time -- a similar problem could occur related to the white cells. It seems that an "open would" -- i.e. a scratched eczema patch -- could be a gateway for dangerous germs to invade...

I'm just looking down the road a bit... maybe not too far, and wondering... Any thoughts?