View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 8, 2007, 11:51 AM

Question Temodar and MDS and Vidaza

My husband is a long term survivor of brain cancer. He had treatment with a drug called Temozolomide and now 7 years after completing chemo for the brain cancer he has MDS (RAEB-1 or 2, or t depending on who you ask). The wierd thing is that his blood counts never dropped while he was on Temodar. Do any of you know of people on Temodar ending up with MDS? I'm curious as much as anything I guess. Everyone seemed to believe that Temodar was a "very well tolerated" drug..but it seems the likely cause of his MDS. Brain tumors tend to recur..so my fear is he could have a bone marrow transplant, live through that and THEN the brain tumor could return. Anyway...

My husband just did a week of Vidaza. His whole body is bruised--two shots a day for 5 days and on saturday and sunday when he had to go to the hospital for treatment they gave him 3 shots each day. So he has 16 large bruises. He felt so bad from the treatment that he didn't go to the doc for a blood draw..when I managed to get him there two days late, they put him in the hospital to transfuse b/c his hemoglobin was at 5 (down from 9 before treatment). When you guys talk about blood counts being "dangerously low" what levels are you referring to? I'm still learning the lingo.

Margie