Thread: Use of Steroids
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 05:37 PM

Use of Steroids

Hello

As I mentioned in a previous post, after my dad's first chemo back in April he had a horrendous infection and has got weaker and weaker since, losing a lot of weight and interest in food and most activities with low counts of all cells.

His consultant took another bone marrow biopsy two weeks ago, expecting to see his blasts had increased and he had progressed to AML. However his blasts had dropped from 11 to 5%. He was then prescribed a steroid, Prednisolone, at 10mg for the first week then 5mg the second.

The change in my dad has been dramatic - he seems to have got rid of the catarrh and sickness that was making his eating so hard and is putting on weight. He is almost back to his 'normal' self in terms of being interested in life and activities. Although he was in a wheelchair two weeks ago he is now able to walk down the garden etc.

It is so wonderful to see him so much improved and I am wondering if it is just the steroids that have had this effect - has anyone else had similar experiences with steroids?