View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 15, 2012, 10:13 PM

3rd BMB report

Hi all,

Further updates for my mom BM Trephine Biopsy results.

Microscopy:
Small core of trephine biopsy showing fragmented bony trabeculae with intervening marrow tissue. Few areas are haemorrhagic and not suitable for assessment. A few cartilage seen with few areas are acellular while the others look hypocellular and present of all the hematopoietic cells. No excess blast noted. However this trephine biopsy is suboptimal for interpretation.

No increase in reticulin.

Interpretation:
Inadequate sample for interpretation

As the hema mentioned that there is no way to interpret my mom BM results, the hema was suggesting continuing with the BT ONLY. When i asked what other ways to diagnose my mom illness, the hema mentioned about the BMB again but the hema is hesitate to do it as he thinks the results will be the same as per the 3rd BMB. Basically it is up to us to decide.

FYI. My mom has went thro 3 BMB's and so far we knew that both (we have 2 of the BMB results) have almost the same results, no conclusive answer/results. To be honest, i am not sure whether we should go for the 4th one. Any thoughts/ideas are most welcome.

As i continue bothering the hema asking for any other treatments possible for my mom, finally the hema said we can try "erythropoietin 0.5ml" "epoetin Alfa 2000" for 3 months. As the costs is expensive for this medication, the hema told us that actually my mom needs 40,000 but he can only prescribe 2000 * 3 times/week which i think it might not helps my mom. Anyway we will try and see how is the outcome. The hema mentioned about Danazol if the erythropoietin doesnt work for my mom.

I dont know whether i do the right thing for my mom or not as i kept bothering the hema and finally he agreed to try the EPO and might be Danazol later on. Should i stop all these treatments as the BMB results is still not conclusive. Any thoughts/comments are welcome.

If anyone in the forum have any good idea on how i can proceed with my mom illness, please do share with me. All the comments/ideas are most welcome and appreciated. Thanks.
Teo, son to Goh, age 71 dx mightbe MDS with low HB & RBC Jan 2012; FE 7755 on Nov 2014 - 6*500mg ferriprox; BT every month since Feb 2012; BMB done July 2013 - no conclusive evidence of MDS or PRCA; EPO stopped Nov 2013; Danazol 200mg*2 starts Nov 2013 + cyclosporine 25mg*4 starts June 2015