View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 9, 2013, 04:51 PM

If not MDS then what?

Hi guys. First time poster here. I'm 'in the process' I guess you'd say of being diagnosed with MDS. i'm 35 and have two young children. I've been aneamic for most of my life, (never really ate too well when young-hated meat etc) anyway ... in November last year we lost a baby in hospital at 16 weeks pregnant, and then my blood was almost gone. I was given an iron infusion in hospital in January this year. Since December last year (3 months) my platelets and white blood counts and dropped dramatically. From normal to platelets being 56 at last count. Ive had the bone marrow biopsy done (ouch!) and the results are the pathologist says MDS. The hematologist isn't too happy to diagnose it because of my age however! also, we are waiting on the cytogenic testing which we get results for in a nother week or so. My question to the hematologist was 'if cytogenics are normal do I still have MDS and he said'wait and see....so my question to you guys is..if its not MDS what else could it be? I have no other illnesses etc. The iron has 'cured' my anemia in that my HB is now in normal range. Its the other two that aren't working. He said the RCMD so low blasts at this stage. any advice appreciated. I've been researching MDS a lot, and the prognosis doesn't sound very appealing...he did say a bone marrow transplant is the only cure at my age. Thanks for listening ..