View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 3, 2010, 04:38 PM

platelet transfusions

Hello Jill,
I, too, get paranoid and anxious when my platelet count gets below 20k, fortunately I don't have to worry about a low WBC as you do. As far as platelet transfusions go, I agree with everything that Marlene has said. Everyone with these diseases is different and one number that would trigger transfusion does not apply to all. In general from what I have read and heard, as long as your platelet count is above 20k you are probably OK as far as bleeding goes unless you are injured or have to have minor surgery. Also the rate of decline of the platelet count, I think, makes a difference in this also. I am unusual in that my platelet count has declined slowly and I've done OK with counts ranging from 19 - 25k over the past year. The usual trigger for platelet transfusions is less than 10k in most circumstances. However there is an increased risk for bleeding if you have a fever, infection, significant kidney or liver disease, clotting disorder, enlarged spleen or very low HCT. In those cases they might transfuse sooner, say between 10k and 20k. Some have even recommended transfusion only if you are bleeding with a low platelet count. I've also heard an expert say that 7k seems to be the magic number below which bleeding events rise dramatically. These are just guidelines that I have read and of course your hematologist is the best one to ask about his platelet transfusion guidelines. If you have fever, infection, bleeding, trauma -- get to your doctor right away. Avoid any medications that might affect your counts. I'm sure you already know this. Good luck and keep us informed about your transplant preparations. Tytd