View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 01:53 AM

Vidaza response, treatment between cycles

Hello! I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me to clarify some information on Vidaza treatment.
My mother, who lives in Ukraine, was diagnosed with a myelodysplastic syndrome, refractory anemia with excess of blasts in the last October. Since she is 72 years old, the bone marrow transplantation was out of question. She was started on low dose Cytarabine therapy but eventually this therapy failed.
A week ago she was started on Vidaza and by the end of the 7th day of treatment she still has blasts in her peripheral blood smear. The doctors there are not very experienced in using Vidaza and so I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me answer the following questions:
1. Is this common to still have some blasts in the peripheral blood smear after the first cycle of Vidaza? Or is this considered a failure?
2. If this is not a failure then what should be done in terms of treatment in between cycles of Vidaza?
3. Is this common to achieve partial or complete response only after a few cycles of Vidaza treatment?
Once again, I would greatly appreciate your responses.