View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 05:25 PM

Check with your Office on Aging

Bebop;
As an RN, I did a year of Hospice nursing. It was both happy and sad, because if you are any kind of a nurse - that patient becomes a part of your family. Instead of a nursing home - is there an 'extended care facility' nearby that has a qualified staff? Sometimes just the mention of nursing home scares them. Too, check with your local office on aging. They usually have a list of qualified caregivers that have had background checks, and maybe the daily company/care/conversation might just help the appetite. Also, does the Dr. have her on Marinol? If not - ask about it, because it helps to improve the appetite and also curb any nausea at the same time. I know I help care for an elderly lady, and just by stopping by - and 'have on hand' something to eat - she always comes to sit with me and eat whatever I brought - from a donut to an entire meal. And it is someone different - not that she doesn't want to see you - but with a new face, she might react differently. Good Luck To You.
Beth